Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 Tbsp. of Olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey, white and dark combined
- 1cup of coarsely chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1/2 large sweet red pepper, cored, deveined and coarsely chopped.
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can of red kidney beans (don’t drain)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large heavy pot and saute the onion and garlic, stirring frequently.
- Add the turkey meat.
- Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, chopping down and stirring with the side of a heavy kitchen spoon to break up any lumps.
- Add sweet pepper, celery, oregano, bay leaves, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir to blend well.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes longer.
- Serve in bowls with cheddar cheese.