This aromatic shrimp noodle soup is warm, satisfying and full of flavor thanks to all of the herbs and spices.
Prep Time: 10 min. Cook Time: 30 min.
- 8 oz. organic edamame noodles
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or 1/2 teaspoon ground 2 cloves whole or 1/4 teaspoon ground 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns or 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger root minced
- 1/2 tablespoon chili garlic paste
- 8 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 cups bok choy stem thinly sliced and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- Prepare the noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Toast coriander, cloves and peppercorns in a dry pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until they become aromatic. Remove from heat and crush with mortar and pestle or spice grinder; ‘set aside.
- In a large soup pot, warm sesame oil over medium heat for 30-60 seconds until it starts to shimmer. Add ginger and chili garlic paste then stir for 30 seconds to release flavors.
- Stir in chicken broth, lemon peel, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, hoisin, cinnamon and reserved toasted spices. Bring mixture to a boil then add shrimp and bok choy.
- Continue to simmer until shrimp turns bright pink and bok choy wilts – about 3-4 minutes. Check for seasoning and add salt/ pepper/ soy if necessary.
- Divide noodles evenly between four large bowls and ladle soup into each bowl.