- 1 Cup of portabella mushroom caps, sliced
- 4 oz. (about 1/3 of the package) Gimme lean sausage
- 1/2 Cup chopped onions
- 1/4 Cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed or finely chopped
- Salt, Black pepper, Basil, Oregano to taste
- 1 oz. dry whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 Cups of fresh spinach Balsamic vinegar (drizzle)
- Heat the olive oil on medium in a large sauté pan. When the oil is hot place onion, mushrooms, and garlic in the pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables start to shrink and/or brown a little bit.
- They shouldn’t be cooked all the way through. Add your favorite cooking red win (I found both Merlot and Cabernet to be good options for this meal) add the “sausage” to the pan.
- Cook all together until the alcohol has cooked out of the wine and little liquid remains. Add your spices to the pan, to your taste.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, and then add your mushroom and sausage mix to the pasta. Mix well and place on top of a bed of fresh spinach.
- Drizzle with balsamic and eat up! I like this meal hot and cold.