Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 1 hour
Crispy tofu that’s baked, not fried, and tossed in a 5-ingredient peanut glaze! Serve over cauliflower rice with sautéed veggies for a completely plant based meal that’s entirely vegan plus gluten free!
- STIR-FRY 12 oz. extra – firm tofu, organic and non-GMO if possible 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil 1 small head cauliflower 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 Cup low sodium soy sauce (Tamari for GF eaters)
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. peanut butter or almond butter (natural, salted)
- Veggies: baby bok choy, green onion, red pepper, broccoli
- Toppings: fresh lime juice, cilantro, sriacha
- Begin by draining tofu 1.5 hours before you want your meal ready.
- If your block of tofu is larger than 12 oz., trim it down.
- You don’t need a full pound for this recipe. Roll tofu in an absorbent towel several times and then place something heavy on top to press.
- I use a pot on top of a cutting board and sometimes add something to the pot to add more weight. Do this for 15 minutes.
- Near the end of draining, preheat oven to 400 degrees and cube tofu.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and arrange in a single layer. Bake for 25 minutes to dry/firm the tofu.
- Once baked, remove from oven and let cool. Prepare sauce by whisking together ingredients until combined.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed. I often add a little more sweetener and peanut butter.
- Add cooled tofu to the sauce and stir to coat. Let marinate for at least 15 minutes to saturate the tofu and infuse the flavor.
- In the meantime, shred your cauliflower into rice by using a large grater or food processor.
- You don’t want it too fine, just somewhat close to the texture of rice. Set aside.
- Mince garlic if you haven’t already done so, and prepare any veggies you want to add to the dish (optional) Heat a large skillet over medium to medium high heat and if adding any veggies to your dish, cook them now in a bit of sesame oil and a dash of soy sauce. Remove from pan and set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Use a slotted spoon to spoon tofu into the preheated pan. Add a few spoonfuls of the sauce to coat.
- Cook, stirring frequently for a few minutes until browned. It will stick to the pan a bit, so don’t worry.
- Remove fro pan and set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Rinse your pan under very hot water and scrape away any residue.
- Place back on oven. Add a drizzle of sesame oil to the pan, then add garlic and cauliflower rice and stir.
- Put cover on to steam the rice, cook for about 5-8 minutes until slightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Then add a few spoonfuls of sauce to season and stir. Place cauliflower rice and top with veggies and tofu.